Thursday, January 8, 2015

Four Questions with "The Whipping Man's" Jarrod M. Smith

Jarrod M. Smith as "John" in The Whipping Man

Jarrod M. Smith is at an incredible milestone in his acting career: he's making his professional acting debut in South Coast Repertory's production of The Whipping Man. He studied acting at the prestigious American Conservatory Theater in San Francisco and took time to answer our four questions for MyStage, SCR's discounted ticket program for those 15-to-25 years old.

What drew you into acting?
I've always been fascinated with the movies. Films would suck me into a variety of worlds that would have a lasting impression on me. My parents used to take me; I still remember going with my father on Christmas Day to see Street Fighter.

What’s been the biggest challenge you've faced building your acting career?
Figuring out where I fit in! When I first started acting, I was around people who had acted for a little while longer, but they had regular jobs and acting was their hobby. When I studied at the American Conservatory Theater, some of my classmates had been acting for many years and it was their career. I always knew I could get in stage or film and play ball with the best of them. Even if I really couldn't at the time.

Adam Hass Hunter and Jarrod M. Smith in The Whipping Man
You’re making your SCR debut and professional debut with The Whipping Man. Can you speak on that and what that means to you? 
I couldn't ask for more. It’s an honor to be making my debut as a professional at South Coast Repertory with this specific play. Great opportunity.

What advice can you give to aspiring actors?
Advice? I still need advice! But, the one thing I have learned is that if you don't hustle, you'll never be seen. The most talented of actors will never be seen if the "hustle" gene isn't in them. Don't be that actor.

More About MyStage

MyStage is a special program designed for 15- to-25-year-olds. Members get a special discount, $10 tickets for shows at South Coast Repertory. It’s like student rush, but you can get great seats by purchasing tickets up to a month in advance! Members also get access to exclusive social events and behind-the-scenes updates.

Ready to join? It’s free and easy to sign up. Just e-mail the following to mystage@scr.org:
  • Full Name:
  • Address:
  • Phone Number:
  • Birthday and Year:
  • Email (not your parents’):
  • School Attending (if applicable):

Learn more and buy tickets

No comments:

Post a Comment